Everyone knows the importance of daily brushing and flossing, however, some are unaware of the necessity of seeing your dentist regularly for exams and cleanings. Dentists in Atlantic Beach, FL recommend that most people see their dentist every six months for a checkup and cleaning. However, depending on your individual needs, your dentist might recommend more frequent or fewer visits. This is largely based on your dental health history. However, other medical issues could also play a role in this determination. Here are some reasons for regular dental exams and cleanings.
1. Improve Your Smile – Are you a coffee or tea drinker? Do you smoke? Substances such as wine, tea, coffee, and/or tobacco can stain your teeth. Dental cleanings can remove stains and leave you with a freshly polished set of choppers. A whiter, brighter smile is the end result.
2. Better Breath – Good dental health and oral hygiene practices are the best way to protect your teeth as well as prevent halitosis. Even if you are in the habit of brushing and flossing daily, a schedule of regular dental exams and cleanings is a wonderful way to keep your mouth fresh, clean, and odor-free.
3. Improved Overall Health and Well-Being – Studies have established the link between oral and overall health. Regular dental cleanings could help reduce your risk for life-threatening illnesses, such as heart disease, diabetes, and stroke to name a few. Many medical conditions, some of which can be serious and/or life-altering, can be detected in their early stages via a routine oral exam from your dentist.
4. Prevent Gum Disease – Gum disease, which is also known as gingivitis and/or periodontal disease, begins with a build-up of plaque. It is a major cause of tooth loss in adults. As gum disease progresses, plaque can invade and erode other areas of the mouth include the jawbone. This could result in tooth loss and a myriad of other health-related issues. However, regular dental cleanings and exams, combined with good oral hygiene, will greatly reduce the risk of developing gum disease and many other potential problems associated with it.
5. Reduce the Risk of Cavities – Plaque (whitish build-up on teeth) is the leading cause of tooth decay. This substance erodes the tooth enamel and can lead to cavities. Plaque can be removed by regular dental cleanings, flossing, and brushing.
Other benefits associated with regular dental exams and cleanings include most insurance plans have low or no copayments for regular dental cleanings and oral exams. Additionally, some insurance providers offer lower premiums and/or rebate checks for preventative care services. Moreover, Dentists in Atlantic Beach, FL say that preventative care can help you avoidmore costly and extensive procedures in the future. Furthermore, if you take advantage of such benefits now, you will save money in the long run by protecting your oral health and safeguarding your overall health/well-being.
It is important to note that checking your teeth for tooth decay is only one aspect of a thorough dental examination. During your regular dental exam, the dentist and/or hygienist will evaluate the health of your gums, perform a head and neck examination to assess any abnormalities, and examine your mouth for any signs of diabetes, vitamin deficiencies, and/or cancer. In all likelihood, Dentists near Atlantic Beach, FL will also evaluate your bite, face, movement of your lower jaw joints (TMJs), and saliva. Dentists near Atlantic Beach, FL offer exams that are typically followed by a dental cleaning. However, the order could also be reversed (cleaning followed by examination) depending on the dentist’s availability or protocol. and stress the importance of you maintaining good oral hygiene at home between visits. Many Dentists in Atlantic Beach, FL will pay special attention to plaque and tartar. This is because plaque and tartar can build up in a very short time if good oral hygiene is not practiced between visits. Food,
This examination is typically followed by the dental cleaning. However, the order could also be reversed (cleaning followed by examination) depending on the dentist’s availability or protocol. The dental staff will generally stress the importance of maintaining good oral hygiene at home between dental visits. In some cases, Dentists in Atlantic Beach, FL will pay special attention to tartar, plaque, and/or staining. However, this often depends on the individual’s dental health, history, and other medical issues if applicable. The reason why Dentists in Atlantic Beach, FL tend to focus on plaque and tartar is because it builds up in a very short period of time if good oral hygiene is not practiced between dental visits. Moreover, substances, such as beverages, tobacco, and food, can stain teeth as well. If these potential irritants are not removed, soft plaque can harden on the teeth and cause inflammation on the gums. This build-up of plaque and inflammation can lead to gum disease. As a result, your Dentists in Atlantic Beach, FL will examine your mouth, tongue, gums, and throat as part of a regular dental exam. Here is an overview of the aspects involved in a thorough dental exam and cleaning, which can be conducted in no particular order and may vary depending on the dentist or hygienist.
–Examination of the face
–Examination of the neck
–Evaluation of the lymph nodes
–Examination of the lower jaw joints (TMJs)
–Examination of the gums
–Checking for signs of gum disease (Gingivitis and/or Periodontal Disease)
–Examination for loose or broken teeth
–Evaluating the tissues inside of the mouth
–Examination of the tongue
–Evaluating the bite
–Visual indicators of tooth decay
–Checking for damaged fillings
–Examination for damaged fillings
–Evaluating the contact between teeth
–Evaluating the cleanliness of the gums and teeth
–Removal of tartar and plaque
–Polishing and Flossing between the teeth
–Recap of recommended brushing and flossing techniques
–Suggestions for improved dental health and hygiene practices
If you are looking for dental care in Atlantic Beach, FL, search online, check the local directories, and/or phone listings for dentists in the area. There are also Dentists in Auburndale, FL that range in expertise and specialties from general care to extractions to orthodontics.