Dentists in Bal Harbour, FL have said that some individuals may not necessarily see the need to have a dental checkup. However, these are important visits that enable you to have a better look into your oral health. The duration between checkups may vary between 3 months to 2 years. This all depends on the health of your teeth and gums and the possibility of future problems that may arise. Having this visit to your dentist enables them to check on the health of your teeth and gums and to detect any problems early enough.
What to expect during a dental check-up:
When you visit your dentist, you can expect him/ her to:
• Conduct an examination of your mouth, teeth and gums.
• Ask about the history of your general health and any problems related to your mouth, teeth and gums experienced since you last visited them.
• Ask about your oral health practices and behavior.
• Give you advice on the best teeth-cleaning habits, your diet and the use of tobacco and alcohol and how these affect your oral health.
• Set a date for your next visit.
How often should you have dental checkups?
If you are under 18 years of age, this period could be between 3 months and 2 years. If you do not face any oral health problems, the period is longer (1-2 years). However, if you are experiencing a problem, the dental checkups will be more frequent.
In some circumstances, you may require the dentist to deliver some treatment. Such circumstances include when you require a filling or a tooth to be taken out as well as cleaning of the teeth, which is done by scaling and polishing. Also, emergency treatment may be required if, in between the planned checkups, you experience a problem with your teeth.
What if you are afraid of visiting a dentist?
You may already know that it is important to visit your dentist. However, fear may be holding you back from having a dental checkup. Below are some tips that can help you fight this fear and fight this anxiety:
• Find an understanding dentist. Recommendations from family and friends may lead you to find a good and understanding, patient who relates well with clients. Be sure to specify that you would like one who can handle anxious patients as well.
• Plan a visit to the dentist that you are familiar with. This makes you familiar with the surroundings of the dentist’s clinic. Meet the dentist as well as the receptionist. You could let them know about your fears.
This helps the dentists in Bal Harbour, FL keep you in mind and prepare for your checkup.
• So as to minimize the time you will feel anxious about the clinic visit, pick an appointment time that is in the early hours of the morning.
• During the first checkup, no serious dental procedures such as having a filling may be done. Therefore, you do not have to worry about this. Relax and take it as an opportunity to know the dentist better.
• You may want to have some support and company with you, so that you may feel more at ease. Tag your friend or a member of your family along. Your dentist will not mind you having someone with you as he/she attends to you.
• Come up with and agree on a signal that enables you to communicate with the dentist. This will ease the anxiety and give you some sense of control during the checkup because of you want the dentist to stop, you may signal them to do so.
• You may start off with the less intensive procedures such as cleaning and polishing of the teeth before moving to more involving procedures. This enables you to relate well with your dentist over time and build the trust needed for you to be at ease during procedures in the future.
• Music is known to change one’s mood. You can carry your device that can play music and listen to your playlist during the visit to your dentist. This will help you relax.
So, what are you waiting for? Book your dental checkup with one of the dentists in Bal Harbour, FL and start your journey to good oral health. It all starts with visiting the very best dental service in Bal Harbour FL. If you are still searching for other local dentists you can check out our list of local dentists like dentists in Alachua, FL and we are adding locations all the time.